Friday, May 22, 2009

The serious biking has started!

So, the last few weeks I HAVE been working out sporadically....going to the gym a few times. Just enough to keep the guilt away. Hey, I am being honest. Anyway, I got a message from a good friend yesterday...Ian, telling me to basically get off my ass and get on track again! Thank you Ian!!! Today, I took the suggestion and hit the road. I went on a 1.5 mile walk and then I went on a 4.75 mile bike ride. This is my first serious bike ride. It was AWESOME!!!! I had my dad drop me off and then pick me up. I had so much fun. I loved the sound of the birds and the stream. Just me and the bike. I would have gone farther, but I forgot I had to go pick up the girls from school. OOPS!!!

My big fear with this sprint triathlon was the bike ride. I now know I can do it. I am going to start biking the 14+ mile triathlon route.....in small steps of course. I am going to work on getting my time down. How fast is a "normal" speed for an average bike ride? Not a race, but not a walk in the park. My left arm held up well on the ride and my rt shoulder did too. I am thrilled and exhilarated!!! The next step is to get into the freezing Yakima River run off pond where the 1/4 mile swim takes place. Oh well, baby steps.

Thanks again to Ian for gently slapping my face and getting me on the road again. It seems that my theory of sharing with everyone about the Sprint Triathlon was correct. Those who care and want me to succeed will help me on my journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment