Thursday, March 12, 2009

Big Dreams

OK so 3 days ago I was speaking to my friend Bobbie and she was telling me how she was training for a "sprint triathlon." We spent 45 min talking about it and she asked me if I wanted to do it with her. I quickly said, "Um hell no!" And that was that. Or so I thought. I could not get the thought completing a triathlon out of my head. A sprint triathlon consists of roughly, 1/4 mile swim, 13+ mile bike ride and a 2.5 mile run. Very doable....right?

In high school I was very athletic: aerobics instructor, life guard and horse rider. I was fit! Over the last 20 years I have become less fit.......a lot less fit =) Through out the years I have never lost my desire to be active, just the umph to actually do it on a regular basis. I could list 30 excuses as to why my posterior has grown and my scale screams when I go near it, but I would be insulting myself and you. I have let myself go and talking about a sprint triathlon has got me excited! I can and will complete the Ellensburg Spint Triathlon! It is in August. 5 months to train. I can do this. I am going to use this blog to keep track of what I do and to make sure I am accountable. If everyone knows I want to do this, it will be very hard to slack off.

Another exciting bit of news is that Jon has agreed to do this with me as well!!!

Ok, now don't get me wrong. I have not sat around doing nothing active. I work out regularly. But today was the first day of my new training work out. To be honest, I don't know squat about training for something like this. So, I went to the gym with the goal of riding this new exercise bike. It has a video screen and various courses you can ride. You can go up hill, down hill, through the woods, race people, and even play games and fight dragons all on a bike and in the gym! I hopped up on the bike and picked a 3.36 mile "ocean side" ride. Son of a gun if that little 3+ mile ride didn't kick my ass!!! My legs were burning and I was sweating like crazy! I finished that stupid ride in 15.56 min. It isn't impressive, but it is a starting point. It can only bet better from there.

1 comment:

  1. Super, keep at it. Always have to start somewhere an a 15.56 for 3.36 miles is a good place to start.

    ReplyDelete