For those who know me,.....I am not a quitter. I am a fighter. I still have an injured calf, but I am going to participate in the sprint triathlon on Saturday 8/8/09.
My injury was enabeling me to back out of the event. I have to admit that I was, am terrified of doing this. All of my fears are coming to a head. What if I am not the strong swimmer I think I am? What if I can't make it up the first 5 miles of the bike ride which is all up hill? What if I trip and fall or sprain my ankle during the run? This tape has played over and over in my mind for the last 5 months. My hurt calf was the crack to let all of these fears take over.
Then a few days ago I got a message from a friend, Ian, who told me that it was ok if I didn't finish the triathlon. But what wasn't ok was for me not to try. He told me to preservier and do it and take my time. He also said in not so many words that to not try is to fail. I didn't know Ian to be so prophetic. They were prophetic enough to change my mind and push my fears aside. I am now excited again to compete.
Jon and I got our bikes tuned up today and are hyper hydrating. We will be eating high protein and high carbs for the next 2 days. Too bad hu? Doncha feel bad for us? :-)
One odd thing is that I am having totally messed up triathlon dreams. Last night I was trying to ride in the triathlon on Meghan and Jordan's bikes. It wasn't going so well. Also, I had to pee every 2 minutes, which made it hard to ride. Also, all the peeing made me late and by the time I was done I had to use glow sticks from the Dollar Tree to find my way through the woods where the run will be. Like I said, messed up dreams.
Anyway thanks again to Ian for his pep talk. You should go into motivational speaking!!
I like how I got no props for the motivational bike email I sent you. I put a lot of work into that you know? ; )
ReplyDelete