We did it! We finished the sprint triathlon. Jon finished at 2 hr 13 min and I finished at 3 hrs. 1 min. I am so glad it is over. But I am more glad that Jon and I didn't give up and went through with it. The swim was hard due to the distance, but I did it in 16 min. I think I spent 5 min. in the transition to biking. My arms and legs were rubber. I was the last one our of the bike transition area. So I got my very own motorcycle escort........for the whole ride.
I started the bike ride and was into the first mile and a half of the 5 miles up hill. I stopped to get a drink of water and I forgot that my rt foot was in a toe cage.....can you see where I am going with this? Yup! I fell off my bike and I wasn't even moving. Needless to say I have some road rash on my shin and elbow. But I was laughing soooooo hard :-) and so were my motorcycle escort friends . The whole time I was training for this, I had it set in my mind that the bike ride went a certain way. Well I was wrong. It went backwards from what I thought. I had trained going up hill, the down hill part and visa versa. My way was much easier. Wow did my legs and tush burn! My shoulder started causing some issues too. But on I went.
When I finally finished my ride I went to the run part. Well for me the walk part. There was no way I was going to be able to think about running much less actually do it. I had a friend who came down and walked the first mile with me. She has no idea how much that helped. Alex walked with me the next mile and Jon and Meghan and Jordan joined us for the last part. It was great crossing the finish line surrounded by my family. Mom and dad were waiting at the finish line.
Jon did great with the swimming part. This is the part he feared the most. He went on to the bike ride and though he struggled with the up hill part he didn't stop once!! Me? Yeah I stopped about 8 times....
Anyway, Jon started the run part and his damn pants kept falling down. He rolled the waist down, he pulled the waist up, he held them, he kept pulling them up. It got too dangerous so he said "F--- it" and took em off. Luckily under his shorts he had some sliding shorts on. They are kind like bike shorts. You know tight spandexy type things. After he took off his shorts he ran much better.
I am so proud that we finished. We set a goal and didn't give up. Boy there were times I wanted to. But I prayed the whole time and had faith in myself. We both want to do it again next year. We have 365 days to shave off some of our time. :-)
Thank you for all of your words of encouragement and well wishes and prayers. We really couldn't have done it with out our friends and family.
I wonder how many women watching along the route took pictures of Jon's....er....uh...."package" as he ran by in the sliding shorts? It was like a free Chippendale's show....what a shocking E-burg moment.
ReplyDelete